making blue cheese bacon Focaccia from Bon Appetit and OMG I have no mashed potatoes. sigh. would ricotta cheese work?

The recipe calls for 1 cup of riced or mashed potatoes. Could I even omit it. Of course I have already mixed the flour with the salt and pepper. 4.5 cups of flour. Here is the recipe....
http://www.bonappetit.com...

asked by Lucia from Madison almost 7 years ago

nutcakes

Those sound like delicious flavors. I'd just use a focaccia dough that doesn't call for potatoes. Use your flour but adjust for the salt. You won't get as soft of a dough perhaps, so look for one that has milk and more oil. Good luck.

I agree with nutcakes. The mashed potatoes are going to give you some lovely moisture and starches. Ricotta is going to give you some moisture, but some very tough protein in the form of casein. Take a look at this one, perhaps, and adapt it for what you've already scaled. Focaccia is pretty forgiving as long as you keep the hydration rate high (moist, slack dough, in other words), and have some good fats. Your bleu cheese will certainly help there. Sounds delicious! Please let us know how it turns out.

Lucia from Madison

Well the result was very good! The polenta was a last minute thought (funny I don't have bacon or potatoes in the house but I do have Proscuiotto and Polenta!). Oh I added some goat cheese too! Would I make this recipe again? Yes, with my revisions. Thanks again for the support.
http://sowhatareyoumakingfordinner.blogspot.com/2011/10/proscuiotto-and-bleu-cheese-focaccia.html

Lucia from Madison

Thank you for the help. I ended up making polenta... I figured it would have the same...well almost the same consistency of the mashed potatoes. And it gets better - I didn't have bacon! But I had proscuitto. So I don't have potatoes or bacon but I have proscuitto and polenta. The Focaccia is in the oven now and it smells good. Actually the dough was very easy and nice to work with. Let's hope the flavor is good!

Wow, I'l bet the polenta is going to add a lovely texture. I've found myself in many "behind the 8-ball" cooking situations. You cope or you go crazy, those are pretty much your options. Here's to brilliant coping on your part!