We use agar agar for vegetarians and gelatin for non veg is that correct?Is gelatin veg or non-veg?

Sunchowder
Sunchowder November 2, 2010

Non-veg I believe. I think it is made from the hoofs of cows and pigs unless they have changed the process!

BethFalk
BethFalk November 2, 2010

Yep, gelatin is an animal product. Not just from hooves, but from pig and cow skin and bones. It's a form of collagen. Somewhat unpleasant, when you think about it.

Mr_Vittles
Mr_Vittles November 2, 2010

Gelatin is semi natural product that uses the hoofs of horse and pigs. There are now gelatins that use plant byproducts so you may be able to find those. I would advise not to use any gelatin that does not specifically say, Vegetarian friendly, as it probably uses animal byproducts in it.

innoabrd
innoabrd November 2, 2010

And, keep in mind that most gelatin is not halaal, so if you are serving to muslims, you should avoid as well unless the gelatin is marked halaal. There is such a thing, we even got halaal gummy bears in Egypt!