Egg Pie Crust

I am thinking about trying a new kind of pie crust - with egg - what is the difference between an egg and a butter only crust, and do you have a favorite recipe?

• Posted by: aargersi
  • November 10, 2011

boulangere November 10, 2011

I've used egg in a shortbread crust, but never in a pâte brisée. Which are you thinking of?

aargersi November 10, 2011

Hey B! I don't know enough to answer that - in fact I was going to email you! I want to make pot pies and the Mr prefers a pie crust to biscuits ... I know I saw an egg crust being made around here somewhere and it seemed like a good idea.

boulangere November 10, 2011

Ok, think about this: 2.5 cups AP flour, 1 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. sugar, 8 ounces cold butter in 1" chunks, 1 whole egg, 4-5 ounces ice water. Mix dry ingredients plus butter on the paddle until butter is the size of hazelnuts. Add the egg and water and mix just until no trace of dry stuff is visible in the bottom of the bowl. Turn out onto your board, divide in half, round up and flatten into disks 1" thick. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 min. before rolling. This is basically my pate brisee recipe with the water quantity reduced to incorporate the egg. It actually sounds like a really good idea, so thanks for asking. I'd love to know how they turn out! I've got lots of chicken meat on hand, and this sounds like a great weekend dinner.

lapadia
lapadia November 10, 2011

Hi! I have used egg in the dough I use for Torta Rustica (don't have the recipe on hand) but for pot pies I have used puff pastry:
and the crust for this recipe (no eggs) a littel cornmeal, but would be good with a pot pie:

Just a thought :)

aargersi November 10, 2011

Thanks you guys! I will try both - somehow I see some turkey pot pies coming up too (roasted a chicken last night is how this whole thing got started) If it comes out halfway decent I will let you know!!

lapadia
lapadia November 10, 2011

Great question, aargersi, especially with Thanksgiving turkey coming up!

AntoniaJames November 10, 2011

I occasionally use a crust recipe that calls for egg, from the James Beard wire-bound cookbook that came with my Cuisinart in the early 1980's (a gem of a little book, that one is). The egg produces a sturdier crust, which is not as flaky as a traditional butter + water + flour crust. It's a great idea to use it in a pot pie, in my opinion. ;o)

aargersi December 7, 2011

I finally made my pot pie using Boulangere's pie crust and it was FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC! That crust is super easy and forgiving and the perfect pot pie texture, stands up to all of the filling. I think it would be a good pumpkin pie crust too. YUM! Everyone - dash home and make that crust! Oh I brushed with buttermilk which browned up really nicely

boulangere December 7, 2011

Thanks for letting us know it worked!

lapadia
lapadia December 7, 2011

Woo-Hoo, aargersi! Thanks for the feedback, copied and pasted boulangere's instructions and can't wait to try it. :)