Help! Upcoming tapas potluck @ work. Want to wow coworkers w/ only a fridge & microwave.

Every month we have a themed potluck at work- I pushed hard for tapas because I love it and I love to cook. Now we're doing it and I want to go all out and impress. I would be willing to do 2-3 dishes. The challenge is that everything has to be pre-made and preferably served cold, because all we have at work is a fridge, a toaster, and a microwave. Ideally I would make it the night before and bring straight to work in the morning. There is NEVER any good protein at these potlucks, so I would love to bring chorizo and/or shrimp. I'd like to do patatas bravas somehow or tortilla espanola. Help! Any ideas or guidance?

• Posted by: AAK
  • November 15, 2011

a Whole Foods Market Customer

What about ceviche, olive tapanade, and maybe a spicy meatball of sorts.
I don't have recipes but all of these things are relatively easy to make, with protein included, and you can get creative. Hope that helps.

Summer of Eggplant
Summer of Eggplant November 16, 2011

I would do the tortilla you mention, is typically stored and served at room temp so no problem there. You could also do manchego/quice skewers, piquillo peppers stuffed with cheese and sherry vinegar, sherried mushrooms at room temp, pulpo salad. Good luck and let us know ow it goes.

AAK
AAK November 16, 2011

I totally forgot about piquillos! Thank you! Manchego/Quince is an awesome idea, too.

amysarah November 16, 2011

As has been mentioned, tortilla is best served at room temp. Piquillos stuffed with goat cheese can also be room temp; stuffed with salt cod (like brandade) are also classic and should work made ahead and quickly re-warmed in microwave.

My favorite is Spanish Romesco Sauce - so addictive and very traditional in Catalonia on practically everything. It's very often paired with seafood - so if you want to do shrimp, I imagine you could steam them ahead, then serve them cold with the room temp sauce. Add some simple toasts to slather the sauce on and it's a feast.

There are endless Romesco recipes, but this is a good, classic one: http://www.nytimes.com...

AAK
AAK November 16, 2011

Romesco is BRILLIANT. I'm going to do exactly that.

lorigoldsby
lorigoldsby November 16, 2011

If you want to serve something warm...can you bring a pancake griddle with you? Right now with the holiday sales you can pick one up for $10-20, and just keep it there. You can cook on it, then turn it to "warm" and use as a warming tray.