Overload of fresh tomatoes in my kitchen. Is it ever OK to store some in the fridge? Produce goes from ripe to soft so quickly in this hot weather...Thanks, Liz

mr.ikslopot October 30, 2010
You could always can them.

betteirene September 8, 2010
cheese1227, yes, this is a nice little trick to have in your bag. I cut the tomatoes in half, scoop out most of the pulp with the crook of my little finger, throw the seedless halves in a zipper bag and then freeze them. After they're frozen, the skins slip right off if you let them thaw slightly, and if you let them thaw a little bit more, it's easy to dice them into same-size pieces. Don't use all of the tomatoes for sauce--keep a few bags and break off a tomato or two to add to soups or chili, or use a couple of them to make salsa on Super Bowl Sunday.

sygyzy September 7, 2010
Sure, store in fridge, no problem. Also consider oven roasting them.

cheese1227 September 7, 2010
A friend told me yesterday that you can freeze whole tomatoes in abundance now on a cookie sheet, then once frozen, put them in a bag in the deep freeze and then take them out at a later date and start the sauce-making process from there say, like on a cold wintery day when you have nothing else to do. Has anyone tired that method?

Kitchen B. August 26, 2010
Kristen is spot on - refrigeration changes the taste and texture of tomatoes but if you'll cook them, it'll be fine

Kristen M. August 23, 2010
If you're going to use them for a sauce or other cooked preparation, this shouldn't be a problem at all -- I've only noticed a slightly mealier texture after refrigeration when eating them raw, in salads, etc.

Amanda H. August 23, 2010
Yes, it just stalls the ripening. I've held fruit and tomatoes for a few days in the fridge.