Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

Need some new ideas for using pumpernickel cocktail bread slices for appetizers.

Remember the old sausage and velvetta spread on the mini breads? We also used pastrami, sauerkraut and Swiss cheese for mini rueben sandwiches....back in the 70's, it was "the" party food... any updated ideas?

asked by lorigoldsby about 5 years ago
2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

I like smoked salmon with a dilled cream cheese, or a curried chicken salad is delicious on pumpernickel.

De461e32 fb58 4b86 a0f9 55234ca13ab5  headshot
broccolirose

Natalie is a recipe tester for Food52.

Not sure how this would taste on pumpernickel, but I make Merrill's red onion jam on crostini for every party I cater! You can make the jam up to 2 weeks ahead of time. People go crazy for these: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

I agree about smoked salmon; also gravlax with mustard/dill sauce is classic. Actually, any smoked fish - trout, whitefish, bluefish, etc. - with a little creme fraiche (or sour cream) mixed with horseradish and/or chives, dill...or, a smear of brie and thin black forest (or similar) ham...

One thing though: if you mean those pre-packaged cellophane 'tubes' of pump squares, be careful. They're often really dry and pretty tasteless. (Not sure if that's due to sitting on supermarket shelf too long.) If your local bakery has fresh pump bread, you can have them slice it thin and quarter the slices (or smaller) - have done that and it was much tastier.

53573b8d 4bf0 4ffd 843d b2e617cfeb6b  dscn3274
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

A mixture of Swiss, parmesan and mayo spread on and then run under the broiler is good.