I have several cups of cooked sauerkraut left over from a rather large open-bake choucroute I made the other day (sauerkraut + fresh cabbage + apples + caramelized onions + white wine + cider, baked with garlicky sausages and a smoked turkey thigh , plus the usual herbs and spices). I once saw a recipe for a soup to which you add sauerkraut toward the end of the cooking time. Do you have, or can you direct me to, such a recipe, in which my leftover sauerkraut might be a good addition? Thank you. ;o)

asked almost 8 years ago

I have an idea, not a recipe - but I think if you were making a borscht type soup that plopping some sauerkraut in would be great! Naked Beet's borscht is wonderful ... I think that adding your skraut would work. You could sneak a ham hock in there too ...

betteirene

Here's two recipes to get you started--take what you want out of each of them and make up your own version, which I just know will be great. I usually do a bone-in smoked ham slice or ham hocks and short ribs.

http://www.foodnetwork...

http://www.seriouseats...

Soozll

I think you could add it to a Russian Cabbage Soup. In fact, I've thought of doing that several times myself, I just didn't have the kraut at the time. Basically it's a French onion soup like base with chunks of brisket, cabbage, celery, carrots and a few raisins. Your meats would sub nicely for the brisket, the apples for the raisins. To my mind, the sauerkraut is a perfect addition added a few minutes before the end of cooking. I don't have a written recipe, I riffed it "au pif" from my favorite soup, at a restaurant. There are some recipes online, just google!

stinkycheese

There's a sauerkraut and bean soup that is a staple in my (Yugoslav) family. It sounds like you have a nice flavor base so you could probably just add some good chicken stock and cooked white beans or kidney beans and simmer.

Nora

Soup sounds wonderful.

Or throw it at the Twitter people. Oops. Did I say that out loud?

Food o' del Mundo

How about some Reuben Chowder: http://foododelmundo.com...

Kayb

Oh, MAN! That Reuben Chowder looks like a keeper! Got to try that, soon!

Mr_Vittles

I vote for that Reuben soup. Damn that looks tasty! *Drools*