🔕 🔔

What is the correct internal temperature of a fully cooked standard yeast/all-purpose flour dinner roll? Thanks so much, everyone. ;o)

asked about 6 years ago

39bc764f 7859 45d4 9e95 fc5774280613  headshot 2.0 crop

Most recipes I'm seeing say 190-200 F. What are your usual cues for telling if rolls are done? (I have a hunch you've baked a few!)

Actually, I ask this because I just made a batch of rolls that I put into the freezer before cooking. I'll be thawing overnight Wednesday and baking very early Thursday. The internal temperature when they go into the oven on Thursday may be lower than as if I had, e.g., refrigerated overnight and allowed to come to room temperature. Thus my usual visual cues may not be trustworthy. Many thanks for the temperature range!! ;o)

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

So instead par baking you froze the uncooked rolls. I am following this because I plan on making my rolls ahead of time and am torn between par baking or freezing and baking. I am confused as to how I will do this to achieve the best result.

Standard bread wants to reach an internal temperature of 185. A baguette wants to reach 210. What kind of flour did you use? If all bread flour, then I'd say treat them like bread and go for 185. If you used a portion of all-purpose flour, then you can go lower, say 175.

51833eca f5dc 40a2 b5fa 6d71e07c6d13  fb avatar

Starches gelatinize anywhere from 55C to 85C depending on the plant they are derived from, the amount of salt, sugar, etc added and the process used in mixing. If you shoot for 85 you will always be safe. But make sure they proof fully beforehand.