🔕 🔔

Hi, We're making cookies and need to replace butter for shortening. Should I use the same measurement?

asked by thebreukelenlife almost 6 years ago

I respectfully disagree w/ Amanda. Butter contains 14-19% water. Shortening is 100% fat. I would use the shortening, but reduce the amount by aprox 16% (by weight) and replace it with whatever liquid the recipe calls for. If the recipe does not have a liquid requirement, use milk or water.

32fb3935 151a 4db2 ac26 980d4c0d5cea  lorigoldsby

I think they are using butter INSTEAD of shortening?

397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

Spiffypaws, thanks very much for weighing in with your specific response. In my experience, you can swap them out 1 to 1 without any harmful effects on the recipe. However, your suggestion is much better, and would clearly produce a more accurate substitution. Agmalivesinbk -- hope we haven't confused you!