Hi, We're making cookies and need to replace butter for shortening. Should I use the same measurement?

asked by thebreukelenlife over 6 years ago

spiffypaws

I respectfully disagree w/ Amanda. Butter contains 14-19% water. Shortening is 100% fat. I would use the shortening, but reduce the amount by aprox 16% (by weight) and replace it with whatever liquid the recipe calls for. If the recipe does not have a liquid requirement, use milk or water.

lorigoldsby

I think they are using butter INSTEAD of shortening?

Spiffypaws, thanks very much for weighing in with your specific response. In my experience, you can swap them out 1 to 1 without any harmful effects on the recipe. However, your suggestion is much better, and would clearly produce a more accurate substitution. Agmalivesinbk -- hope we haven't confused you!