Short on butter for icing

I'm making an icing this morning and just realized I have only 80 grams of butter when I need 100. The recipe also calls for 250 grams of cream cheese, which I have extra of. Could I just add in 20 extra grams of cream cheese to fill it out? Or could I use some vegetable shortening or my smart Blend butter (ie fake butter) to replace the missing 20 grams? Or should I just scale the recipe down? I already know I won't use all of it.

asked by WannabeBaker over 4 years ago

I'd use the veg shortening. But the fake butter will prob work too.

Or why not scale it down since you don't need it all? You're using 80% of the butter, So, 80% of the cream cheese would be 200, and 80$ of your sugar would be its weight times 0.8.

WannabeBaker

I went with scaling it down - I ended up juuuuuust barely having enough, but it worked! Thanks for the feedback.