🔕 🔔

What to have for snacks/appetizers before Thanksgiving dinner that is easy & won't spoil appetite?

asked by Ainsley almost 6 years ago

Cbfb27ea 071f 4941 9183 30dce4007b50  merrill

There are several good, simple ideas within this list: http://www.food52.com/blog...

48f19f89 b2e6 444b 973b d8f7048a7189  img 2248 small

I love having some spiced nuts out for the whole holiday season. That said, nuts are so filling! Veggies and dip or a small cheese plate (so people don't gorge)?

39726c5c 750c 41f5 9f78 6de8357e2987  profilepic

I like to put out nuts in the shell. They keep people busy and it's really hard to fill up on them!

609271d6 306e 4b3e 8479 9d404fb84e73  moi 1

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

You could serve shots of nice fall soup(s) -- butternut squash with apple, or spiced cauliflower, or pear and parsnip (there are so many to choose from, I don't even know where to start). It seems like a nice way to get your guests excited about what's to come without overloading them too much.

Our dinner is a day long event with many participants cooking. It's kind of a tradition that we serve melons wrapped in very special prosciutto that my mom purchases every year. We also set out an array of olives and nuts around the gathering areas which are the kitchen and game room where pool and football are happening. Easy and tasty.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

I try to keep it light before the meal, given the gluttony to come. But last year I also did prosciutto, wrapped around pear slices and a sliver of parm - will do again. Also, I have a roll of goat cheese/thyme wafer dough in the freezer to slice thin and bake. Beyond that, just some olives, maybe some sweet/spicy pecans if I have time.

Cav

I've been tasked with the appetisers / pre-dinner snacks this year. So it's going to be chicken liver pate, butternut squash pate type thing, appropriate toasts, goat cheese tart, cranberry relish. My wife thinks it a lot of work. I just think of the turkey tetrazzini that's going to be served and want to make many more things.