🔕 🔔

Has anyone made bread using the tangzhou starter, which is using the starch gelatinization concept.

asked by happycao almost 7 years ago

Yes, and it works pretty well. I made this http://tinyurl.com/tangzhong... and used Trader Joe's Quattro Formaggio cheese, Prosciutto and green onions for the filling. It was yummy!

2fc558a8 bd7d 4d57 9ed4 e14a7fcea429  fb avatar

wow, I've never heard of this method before. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

I also bookmarked this to try, since it seems "healthier" but haven't yet http://dodol-mochi.blogspot....

I've been trying to make Chinese bread buns, and I've heard of the 39 Celsius method and also the tangzhou method, where you heat flour with water in a pot first as a starter, but I'm wondering what difference this is to another type of starter.

I couldn't tell you the science behind it, but the tangzhou method yields the type of buns that you can get at Ranch 99 markets and Chinese bakeries that have red bean filling, green onions on top, etc. It's quite soft and yummy. I'll have to check out the 39 Celsius method - have not heard of that.