A question about a recipe: Chocolate Persimmon Muffins

I have a question about the recipe "Chocolate Persimmon Muffins" from thirschfeld.
Could you tell me about how to "pulp" a persimmon. I've never seen it prepared, including at my go to store for this type of product, Kalustyan's here in NYC. This time of the year, both Fuyu and Hachiya are available and I would like to try this recipe. How ripe? How do I prepare? Thanks!

• Posted by: amp156
  • December 1, 2011
7249eec5 72fc 46a1 9b44 bcc123d81759  image tjh5997
Recipe question for: Chocolate Persimmon Muffins

thirschfeld
thirschfeld December 1, 2011

In Good to the Grain she uses Hachiya and says 2 to 4 persimmons to get 2 cups. I think you will want them to be soft but not mushy like the American persimmon. When I pulp them I use a food mill just like I use for making tomato sauce.

cookinginvictoria
cookinginvictoria December 1, 2011

I alas do not own a food mill (yet). For an alternative method, would it work to to use a blender to pulp the persimmons and then strain the puree with a fine sieve? Would love to try this recipe too.