🔕 🔔

Dozens of fuyu persimmons! Help

My two fuyu persimmon trees have decide to produce a ton of fuyus this year. They are delicious, but what am I going to do with dozens upon dozens of persimmons? I'm giving them away left and right, but is there a way to use larger quantities? I don't want them to go to waste. (Note these are the hard persimmons, like apples, not the soft kind that is used in baking)

asked by lloreen almost 2 years ago

I love to just eat these out of hand, and chopped in salads with pomegranate seeds, goat cheese and red onions. Faced with a surplus, I'd probably also make pickles: http://hitchhikingtoheaven...

A suggestion often made here for windfall fruits or vegetables: give them to a food bank that dispenses fresh food, or to an organization that serves meals to the needy.

F83774ec c18a 46a4 8dff 00877f15aed6  image
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

You could put them in a pie or galette. Or you could dice and mix them into muffin batter (though that wouldn't use as much up as a pie or galette). Persimmon butter? Persimmon chutney? Persimmon compote?

Maybe make persimmon chips by dehydrating or baking in the oven? I love snacking on dried persimmons. And they're really expensive at the Asian markets.

I peel them, cut them into pieces, and mix with Greek yogurt. I top with cacao nibs or granola. I think I got the idea from Bon Appetit last year.

A43dee65 01b1 40a6 994d 068c78eb3eee  9f7dd561 a480 4e1b 8c8f d5da7ab5167c
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

Oh man, an unlimited supply of fuyus...I'm envious! I'm assuming you've already dedicated as much refrigerator space to persimmon storage as you're willing to -- I've found that they keep quite well in a loosely closed plastic bag in the fridge, although they still slowly get riper. I have had good results with using overripe, soft fuyus as you would hachiyas in baking. For baking purposes, they also freeze well (peel/remove stem and pith first).

183419d6 51a1 4952 966c 797e2ec36c27  75660843 541761783 rotate

Ah how nice to have fresh persimmons. My first thing would be to eat them straight away, I love the crispiness. But you could turn them into cookies https://food52.com/recipes... or a pie/bread.

I also think freezing them would be a good idea. Where I leave most people freeze them during their peak season, and then sell them at a higher price when the persimmon season is over. They become soft-jelly like and really tasty. They have a recipe here for something similar https://food52.com/recipes... I know it mentions that a Fuyu kind wouldn't work but I would give it a try. I would thaw it completely before eating though.

I'm envious. I just bought a box of Kaki persimmons from a local farmer for $40. I eat them like an apple. I chop them up into salads - great to mix with other fall fruits like pomegranate seeds and apples and celery. Sunset Magazine published a great persimmon cake, brimming with fall spices and chopped nuts. I've made chutney. For a couple of years, I couldn't eat them fast enough and I stuck them into the freezer. Last summer I finally used up the five gallon ziplocs making puree and persimmon butter. Marisa McClellan's (foodinjars.com) crock pot method of fruit butter was perfect.

What about a persimmon pickle? I'm going to give it a try….