🔕 🔔

anyone know how to jury rig a bundt pan?? I know I've got one somewhere, but don't have time to kill to go searching for it.

asked by mrslarkin almost 7 years ago

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

Or rather, a tube pan.

C45c94a0 2e08 45bf a73c 4235d1b3c4bb  image

I think you need betteirene! I never tried it, but what if you took a clean empty can (like from beans or pumpkin puree) and filled it a little with dried beans. Place it in the center of a round pan or pot, use foil in the bottom and turn up the sides of the can, butter and flour the heck out of that seam? Good luck in whatever you come up with!

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

Sounds pretty risky to me, mrslarkin! I think I would just bake the cake in a regular cake pan (or two).

I'm down with drbabs on this, I don't think you can jury rig unless you are trying to make an at home IED.

766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

Actually, the small pan with dried beans in it set in the center of a larger pan works quite well. That's how I did a giant ring for my wedding cake when I made it a few months ago! It works best if you thoroughly grease up the sides of the bean can as well as the rest of the pan. Parchment paper lining the bottom of the whole thing also helps, if you have it. Once you pour the batter around, just be gentle going near the center can and you won't be in danger of knocking it off-center. The beans will weigh it down plenty while baking.

Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

Thanks, Sadassa_Ulna, for your vote of confidence, but you and Syronai hit the nail on the head before I could find the hammer!

I once had to make a Goodyear tire cake to serve 50, so I used a coffee can and a 16" round pan to shape it. I had a little leakage that had to be cut off, which probably could have been circumvented with a little bit more flour in the batter, but that was easier to deal with than cutting the center out of a solid cake and trying to keep all those loose crumbs out of the frosting.

Thanks, everyone!

FYI, I was playing around with one of my recipes today, and wanted to make a coffee-cake-type dessert in a tube-like form. Here's what I did: I took a 9" round cake pan, greased it with Pam, lined it with a circle of parchment. Sprayed Pam on the parchment. Placed an inverted ramekin in the middle. Sprayed that too. Then put in my coffee-cake-type dough and baked it. Came out pretty good!! Still tweaking.