I came up with this one day when I had invited a group of girlfriends over for lunch and the ham salad I had purchased was terrible tasting...so I looked around at what I had on hand and said "what can I do with a bag of onions and a box of rice"....I have tweaked the recipe over the years it started with white rice and imitation bacon bits...lol —chefmom
- Serves 8
Fresh Thyme, finely chopped
Fresh Rosemary finely chopped
Lg. Vidalia Onions
Pancetta diced small
Fresh Grated Nutmeg
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450
- Cook 1 Cup Wild Rice per directions on box, then let Rice cool to room temp.
- Whisk 1 Lg. Egg & combine with rice
- Butter 1- 9"Glass Deep dish Pie Pan (1Tbsp.) Place Rice in Baking Dish, Press and Pat Rice with flat spatula to create a crust (bottom & sides), set aside.
- Peel and slice onions, cut in half, then cut halves into thin slices
- In a large unheated skillet place the remaining butter, sliced onions, thyme, rosemary, nutmeg and salt & pepper. Over medium/low heat let the onions slowly cook till soft in covered skillet, stirring occassionally for 6 minutes.
- Add the Pancetta to the onions and continue cooking for 4 more minutes.Turn heat off and let set
- In a medium sized bowl crack 3 eggs and whisk them together. Add the Heavy Cream and the Marscapone to the eggs and whisk until well mixed. Pour the onion mixture evenly into the rice lined baking dish, then pour egg mixture over the onions
- place on rack in center of oven and bake until firm and nicely browned, approx. 30-35 minutes . (use toothpick to check for doneness). Remove from oven and let cool on rack for 5-8 minutes, then slice and servewhile still warm.