Author Notes: We love both the intense, fresh flavor and the hearty healthiness of this pesto. It's a really flexible recipe and you can play with the ingredients here - substitute spinach for the arugula if you like, or almonds for the walnuts if you happen to have them on hand. —CozyDelicious
pound whole wheat penne
ounces fresh baby arugula
cup fresh basil
cup walnuts, toasted
cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
teaspoon chopped garlic
cup ricotta cheese
salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta until al dente in boiling salted water. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup pasta cooking water.
- Meanwhile, rinse the arugula and place in a large skillet over low heat. Cover and steam 2 minutes (the water remaining on the leaves is enough moisture).
- Put the arugula, basil, walnuts, parmesan, garlic, and ricotta in a food prcessor, along with 2 tablespoons of the pasta cooking water. Whir until smooth, adding more water to thin if desired.
- Toss the pasta with the pesto and top with additional parmesan cheese if desired.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Fresh Ricotta