If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Perfect for a winter day, and I call it “magic soup” because it helps fend off colds. Serve with fresh crusty bread for dipping. —Ms. T
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3-4 precooked sausages, cut into bite-sized pieces. Choose any variety that sounds good to you (I like a chicken or turkey sausage with fennel or basil)
- 1 large white or yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 carrots, peeled, diced
- 2 small or 1 large zucchini, diced
- 1/3 cup dry sherry
- 1 1/2 cups diced tomatoes (canned or fresh)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 bunch kale, washed, stems removed, chopped
- 2/3 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup canned cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups cooked penne pasta, al dente
- handful of fresh thyme, oregano and parsley, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large, heavy pot, over medium high heat. Add sausage and saute until browned. Reduce heat slightly, add remaining olive oil, garlic and onions and cook until translucent. Add carrots, cook for 1-2 minutes, add zucchini, cook for 1 minute. Add salt and pepper. Add sherry and use wooden spoon to scrape browned bits from bottom of pan. Add tomatoes. Add chicken stock. Add bay leaf and whole sprig of thyme. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Uncover and simmer for 30-60 minutes. 15 minutes before serving, add kale, cover and cook. Stir in peas and beans. Add chopped thyme and oregano. 1 minute before serving, add pasta. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Ladle into warm bowls. Garnish with a sprinkle of Parmesan and chopped parsley.