Author Notes: I wanted to call this a lasagna, but technically it isn't. Thinly sliced beets replace pasta in this simple yet elegant dish. Fresh ricotta, stirred up with basil, garlic and cheese, is smeared between the beets, adding a creamy background redolent of pesto. I prefer the milder, nuttier yellow beet for this recipe, but red works as well - especially if you prefer pink ricotta. - TasteFood —TasteFood
Food52 Review: This dish combines a ricotta filling and sliced yellow beets into something deliciously akin to lasagna. The ricotta and basil filling is a perfect accompaniment to the sweet and earthy tasting beets. The lemon adds a perfect amount of bright flavor. My husband and I polished off the entire batch in one sitting—it's that tasty! My only piece of advice for making this is to test your beet slices for tenderness when boiling them; they do not soften much during the baking stage. This dish makes a great side or even a light main course, and I will be serving it again! —hardlikearmour
pounds yellow beets (4 large or 8 small)
Juice and zest of 1/2 lemon
cup fresh ricotta
small garlic clove, minced
cup finely shredded basil leaves, loosely packed - plus extra for garnish
plus 2 tablespoons finely grated Pecorino Romano cheese
teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Trim and peel beets. Slice very thinly crosswise with a mandoline or knife. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the beet slices. Cook until tender but firm, 2-3 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water. Blot dry with a kitchen towel. Place in a bowl, sprinkle and toss with fresh lemon juice.
- Combine lemon zest, ricotta, garlic, basil, 1/4 cup pecorino cheese, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Arrange beets in one layer, slightly overlapping, in a small earthenware or gratin dish. Smear some of the ricotta over the beets. Repeat layering process, finishing with ricotta on the top. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons cheese. Bake until beets are tender and cheese is bubbly, about 30 minutes. Serve garnished with fresh basil leaves.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Fresh Ricotta