If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Piqued your interest, or maybe your ire? The G.O.P does not refer to the Republican Party, but the Ginger Orange Pomegranate flavors of the drink. When the “up in flames” contest was announced, I knew I wanted to make a flaming pousse-café. I looked through my liquor selection, and determined I wanted to combine Domaine de Canton ginger liqueur with PAMA pomegranate liqueur. I needed a bridge (both in color and flavor) and since I had some fresh oranges I added orange juice to the mix. The flavor combo worked well, but was a bit sweet and not boozy enough. The color combo was nice, but the PAMA ended up in the middle instead of on top – I wanted more of an ombre effect with clear on bottom, orange in middle, and red on top. Vodka to the rescue on both counts. By mixing PAMA and vodka I was able to layer it on top of the orange juice and improve the balance of flavor. A small layer of hundred proof vodka on top gave me the flames I wanted. Bottoms up! - hardlikearmour —hardlikearmour
Food52 Review: Once you get the layering technique down (a baster works perfectly), you’ll be hooked on the gorgeous flavors and stunning colors. Then comes the inevitable fever, for which there’s only one prescription: more G.O.P. Up in Flames. And then, by the time you’ve assembled your third round, you’re a pro at it and your friends are showering you with love. - TiggyBee —TiggyBee
Makes: 1 2.25 oz shot
ounce ginger liqueur
ounce fresh orange juice, strained to remove pulp
ounce pomegranate liqueur
ounce vodka (80 or 100 proof based on preference)
additional 100 proof vodka (or other high proof clear liquor)
- Pour ginger liqueur into 2.5 oz tall & skinny shot-type glass.
- Rest spoon inside glass with convex surface up, and tip resting on inner side of glass. Very carefully and slowly pour orange juice onto spoon so that it runs down inner side of glass in a gentle stream. The slower this happens the better the separation of layers.
- Mix pomegranate liqueur and vodka together, and pour into glass carefully using the same process as the orange juice.
- Pour a thin layer of the high proof vodka onto the surface of the pomegranate layer. Dim the lights, and light your shot. I'm not brave enough to drink it on fire, so I recommend blowing out the flame before drinking it! You can either drink it like a shot, or stir and sip.
- (Cooks note: I got my best separation of layers using a 30 ml syringe to drizzle the liquids down the inside of the glass, and recommend using this method for crisp layers. You can typically find them at feed stores or medical supply stores)
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish You (Intentionally) Set on Fire