If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These were inspired by a Swedish meatball dinner where I wanted a side other than noodles or mashed potatoes. My understanding is that these are normally made with a filling of onions and ground pork, bacon, or ham, and usually made larger than mine to serve as a main course. I made them smaller (somewhere between a walnut and a golf ball) and filled them with mushrooms and green onion. They can be served drizzled with butter after boiling or browned in butter after boiling...and they taste pretty good with the cream gravy I made for the meatballs. —inpatskitchen
Makes: about 20 dumplings
For the filling
ounces cremini mushrooms, diced
green onions, sliced
teaspoon black pepper
- Sauté the mushrooms, green onion, salt, and pepper in the butter until the mixture becomes almost dry. Set aside and cool.
For the dumplings and assembly
cups peeled potatoes, about 3/4-inch dice
teaspoon white pepper
egg, lightly beaten
1 1/2 to 2
cups all-purpose flour
Melted butter for drizzling or browning
- Boil the potatoes until tender. Drain and mash thoroughly. (I used a ricer.)
- Beat in the egg and stir in the salt and white pepper.
- Stir in the flour, a little at a time, until a soft dough is formed.
- Divide the dough in two and shape each portion into a log about 12 inches long. Cut each log into 10 pieces.
- Using your hands, form each piece of dough into a circle about 2 inches in diameter and place a scant teaspoon of the mushroom filling into the center. Form a ball encasing the mushroom mixture.
- Drop the dumplings into a pot of water that has come to a rolling boil. When the dumplings rise to the surface, remove them with a slotted spoon and drain briefly on paper towels.
- To serve, drizzle with a little melted butter or brown them in some of the melted butter.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Potatoes
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Most Impressive Dinner Party Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Root Vegetable Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dumplings