A healthy way to get crispy chicken fillets without frying. I baked it on top of some cubed squash so it doesn't get soggy on the bottom and it stays dry and crisp on both sides. Low in calories and great for those who are concern over fried food without sacrificing the crunch! —FunkyNomad Eats
- Serves 2
- For the chicken
tender chicken fillets
white wine mustard or any that you fancy
greek yogurt or creme fraiche
grinded black pepper
Panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- For the buttered haricot verts
chopped butternut squash
- Firstly, turn on your oven and preheat it to 190 degrees Celcius and lay out your chopped butternut squash on your baking tray.
- Next, get your chicken fillets and hammer it with a mallet to make it thinner and wider. We don't want to make it too thin but thin enough to coat more panko and still get a bite of chicken when we eat into it.
- Mix your mustard with the Greek yogurt or creme fraiche, sea salt and black pepper. Coat the chicken pieces in the mixture and then coat it with the panko. Lightly press the panko into the chicken to make sure it sticks to the chicken.
- The mustard and Greek yogurt or creme fraiche will make sure that the chicken will stay tender and moist when we bake it. You can adjust the ratio of mustard and Greek yogurt or creme fraiche depending on how strong or weak you want the mustard taste.
- Lay out the coated chicken fillets on top of the cubed butternut squash. There are 3 advantages by doing this: 1) Chicken stays crispy and I don’t have to turn it over 2) Less to wash up (trays, etc.) 3) And you can save the space in the oven for other things that you might want to pop in there, like I did, some pre-cooked but cold potatoes for instance! :)
- Bake the chicken in the preheated oven for about 20-30 minutes depending on the thickness of the chicken. Check after 15 minutes. Bake it until the chicken fillets is slightly golden in colour and a bit browned in the edges.
- While waiting for the chicken to be ready, you can prepare the haricot verts. Blanch the beans in salted boiling water for about 2 minutes and cool it immediately in ice-cold water to stop the beans from cooking further.
- Then fry the chopped garlic in olive oil and add the butter. Cook until it starts to color just a bit. Add the beans and stir- fry until the garlic turns caramel color and the beans are done. Season with salt to taste and it’s ready to be served.
- Finally, just assemble your chicken fillets, the haricot verts and the cubed butternut squash. Shave some butter over the squash,toss it around a bit, grind some black pepper and all you have to do now is enjoy this healthy dish!
- The chicken is great by itself or with more mustard but I personal like to eat the chicken fillets with a bit of ketchup. Kids love it with ketchup too! :)