To use the entire pizza dough, simply double the recipe. —Gourmet Recipes for One
- Serves 1
Flour, for dusting
small pizza dough, about 5 ounces
extra virgin olive oil
unsalted butter, divided
medium onion, thinly sliced
Salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
portobello mushroom cap, diced
sprig fresh thyme
fontina cheese, freshly grated
Parmigiano-Reggiano, freshly grated
Cornmeal, for dusting
In This Recipe
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Place pizza stone in oven.
- To prepare pizza dough, lightly flour a pizza peel and gently stretch dough into a thin rectangle, making sure not to get dough too thin. Brush oil over pizza dough, leaving a 1-inch border around edges.
- In a medium sauté pan over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Add onions and sauté until onions are caramelized, stirringly occasionally, about 10-15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Melt remaining butter and add mushrooms. Stir until just cooked through, about 5-7 minutes. Stir in thyme and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Set aside.
- Place fontina cheese on bottom of dough, followed by mushrooms. Top with onions and Parmigiano-Reggiano and season with salt and pepper.
- Gently dust cornmeal onto hot pizza stone. Transfer dough to pizza stone and cook about 10-12 minutes, until crust gets lightly browned and cheeses are just melted.
- Remove pizza from oven and cut into slices. Serve warm.