Author Notes: Every time I make something like this I wonder how many people all over the world are fixing the same thing: a vegetable cooked with butter, salt and pepper. It is so simple, and so good. In fact, we love this so much that I have decided to grow cabbage in my tiny community garden plot, in spite of the size and my fear of slugs… —checker
medium head white cabbage
tablespoons unsalted butter
salt & pepper
- Core the cabbage and slice it into thin strips.
- Over medium heat, melt the butter in a large skillet and add the strips of cabbage.
- Stir to coat with the butter then add a good amount of salt and pepper – about a teaspoon or so of each – to suit your taste.
- Continue cooking and stirring occasionally until the cabbage is “al dente” or until it is green and tender without being mushy.
- Note: I once added a little celery salt to this, and it was a nice addition. However, I still think it is best when it is prepared in this simple manner.