If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This salad is my variation of a traditional Mimosa. I also make this salad with crab meat, and for special events with lobster. I am stir-frying calamari to give them more flavor.
Everybody knows that Squid (calamari) becomes though when overcooked; that’s why I pay special attention when cooking, and also fry it without a batter.
For the salad.
• 1 pound Calamari (Squid) cleaned, washed, and pat dry
• 2 medium shallots or 1 red onion sliced in very thin rounds
• 5 hard boiled eggs
• 1 tablespoon oil
• 2 carrots cut in thin strips and blanched
• Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
Lemon Tarragon Dressing:
• 3 lemons, juiced
• 3 tablespoons prepared mayonnaise
• 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
• ½ cup olive oil
• Salt& freshly ground pepper
• 1 tablespoon capers in vinegar (drained)
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- To make the dressing: Whisk together lemon juice, mayonnaise, mustard, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Slowly whisk in olive oil until emulsified, mix- in capers and tarragon.
- Organize the cooking with the final assembly in mined. 1. Boil the eggs, cool and peel; and then cut in half lengthwise. 2. Separate yolks from the whites. Slice the egg whites in thin half-moon slices. Blanch the carrot strips in salted water for 10 minutes. 4. Slice only calamari body’s in1/8-inch rounds, leave the tentacles whole. 5. Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat, add the tablespoon oil. 6. When oil is hot add the calamari slices and stir-fry just for (about 11/2 to 2 minutes). 7. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain, sprinkle with salt and pepper. 8. Repeat the same with the tentacles. Drain on another plate, you will need them later for decoration.
- To assemble the salad: 1. On a nice platter layer all ingredients in this order: egg whites, carrots, shallots, and squid. 2. In between each layer spread lemon dressing. 3. Repeat as many times as you need to use-up all the ingredients, and dressing. 4. The top layer should be crumbled egg yolks. 5. Decorate with the reserved fried tentacles.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Squid or Octopus Recipe