If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Years ago my Iranian friend offered to teach me to cook some of the amazing food of Iran, One of my favorites is the Lamb stew. Iranian food is simple not using a lot of spices. I find it addictive, it's comforting and delicious and satisfying. I hope you enjoy this recipe. The stew is eaten with Basmati rice prepared the Iranian way and yogurt with fresh mint and cucumbers. Delish!!! —sdebrango
- 2 pounds top round Lamb (Lamb stew meat) Or favorite cut of lamb
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 4 Italian or 1 regular eggplant
- 2 Dried persian limes or juice of 2 fresh limes or 1 lemon
- 2-3 cups water
- salt and pepper to taste (if you salt your eggplant before you fry go lightly on the salt in the stew)
- Dice your onion, If you can find the dried limes poke holes with the tip of a knife (2-3 slits or holes)
- Heat vegetable oil in large saucepan or dutch oven, add diced onion cook until translucent. Add lamb chunks and brown. Remove from pan and add the can of tomato paste and cook until paste is cooked takes only a few minutes. Add lamb back into saucepan,add salt and pepper to taste, water and the dried limes or lime or lemon juice.
- Cook on medium heat for approximately one hour until the meat is fork tender and the.Sauce has thickened While the stew is cooking prepare the eggplant, Slice your eggplant into approximately 1/4 inch thick slices, salt and let sit on paper towels for approximately 30 minutes you will see the eggplant start to sweat.Rinse, pat dry and fry in oil until browned, set on paper towel to soak up some of the excess oil.Alternately you can bypass the frying and roast in the oven, lay eggplant slices on parchment, brush each side with olive oil and bake in 375 degree oven for approximately 30 minutes. After 15 minutes turn each over they should be nicely browned and roast for another 15 minutes.
- When stew is done add the eggplant and cook on low for another 15 minutes. Remove from heat.