If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: One of my quests has been to find a yellow cake recipe that I love. I have tried what seems like hundreds and although some are really good they were not exactly what I was looking for. I wanted the cake to be tender and light and moist. I was speaking to my Mother on the phone a few months ago, my Mom is an amazing cook and we always discuss food and recipes. I happened to mention my quest and she said she had a recipe for me to try. This recipe is from the 1950's and she made this cake for our family. I remember her cakes were always amazing I just attributed to my mothers culinary prowess. This is my Mom's recipe, she said it took a very long time to get it right and she sure did. It's of of the best yellow cakes I've tasted.
When I made this cake my search was over. Its light, tender and moist. Holds well with fruit filling as well as a buttercream and any way you make it its delicious. The cake is a combination of a yellow cake and a chiffon cake. It rises beautifully and is very simple to make.
- 3 large eggs separated and at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour
- 3 teaspoons Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup 1 tbs vegetable oil (I use canola)
- 1 cup whole milk (1 or 2% work also)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 350
- Prepare 2 9 inch round baking pans, butter bottoms and line with parchment rounds, butter again bottoms and sides and dust with flour.
- Beat egg whites until frothy then add 1/2 cup of the sugar (reserving the rest) a tablespoon at a time until egg whiles are stiff and glossy. Set aside.
- Sift flour, remaining 1 cup sugar, baking powder and salt into large mixing bowl if you are using a hand held mixer or into bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Add the oil, milk, egg yolk and the vanilla. Beat for 2 minutes on medium speed, mixture will be quite thick. I actually prefer to use a hand held mixer for this recipe.
- Fold in egg whites and distribute into the baking pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes. Cool for 10-20 minutes in the pan then turn out onto cake rack to cool completely.