If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This tart was inspired by Suzanne Goin's tarts in Sunday Suppers at Lucques, with my own springtime variations. The tart is a layering of puff pastry, pea puree and whipped ricotta, topped with sauteed leeks. It is easy to make, and the components can be made in advance. Using frozen puff pasty makes this an easy weeknight recipe, but feel free to make your own! - HollowLeg —HollowLeg
Food52 Review: With a lovely puff pastry crust, this tart is simple, delicious and quite lovely aesthetically -- it has multiple colored layers. The peas, ricotta and leeks play well with each other. I used 2 teaspoons of thyme and Pepperidge Farm pastry; one whole sheet as it would have been too small if I had cut it in half. I also recommend finding very small leeks and sauteeing them until they are quite tender, otherwise, they were a tad hard to cut. This will certainly be on my Spring brunch menu for years to come. Beautiful AND tasty! - thehappycook —Victoria Ross
Serves: 4 large, 6 small
sheet frozen puff pastry
tablespoons creme fraiche
teaspoons lemon juice
16 oz. container ricotta, drained of excess liquid
teaspoon fresh thyme
kosher salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare the Puff Pastry: Defrost the puff pastry, and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Score a ¼ inch border around the edge. Make an egg wash by whisking together one egg yolk and a tsp of water, and brush the border. Reserve the egg wash and freeze the pastry until ready to assemble.
- Prepare the Leeks: Remove the dark green parts of the leek and the toughest outer layer. Trim off the root hairs while keeping the root intact. Slice the leek in half lengthwise, and rinse thoughouly with water. Slice the leeks again in half lengthwise, still keeping the root intact. Heat the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. When hot, add the leeks in one single layer. Season with about ½ tsp of kosher salt. Brown the leeks for a few minutes, and flip when they begin to brown. When leeks are lightly browned and softened (about 10 minutes total), remove the leeks onto a plate and reserve.
- Prepare the Pea Puree: In a food processor, blend the peas and crème fraiche into a smooth puree. Add the lemon juice and 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste. Reserve.
- Prepare the Ricotta: In a large bowl, whisk together the ricotta with the leftover egg wash and the extra egg yolk. Whisk well so that the mixture will be easy to spread. Add about ½ tsp of freshly ground black pepper, ½ tsp salt, and 2 tsp fresh thyme, or to taste.
- Finish the Tart: Spread the layer of pea puree onto the tart, staying within the ¼ inch border. Spread the ricotta on top (you will probably not use all of this so save it for the other half of the puff pastry sheet!). Layer the leeks on top of the ricotta. Bake for about 20 minutes, and enjoy!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spring Vegetable Recipe