If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Red beans and rice is inexpensive, simple, and delicious. Multiply the recipe to feed as many as you wish. It freezes beautifully. Serve red beans and rice with French bread or cornbread and a big green salad. —Waverly
- 1 pound dried, light red kidney beans
- 4 quarts water, divided
- 2 large yellow onions, chopped
- 2 ribs celery with leaves, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/4 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb. andouille sausage
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 servings hot cooked rice
- garnishes: grated cheddar cheese and chopped green onions
- SOAK THE BEANS: wash and drain beans. In a 4-quart saucepan, combine 2 quarts water and beans and soak overnight.
- THE NEXT DAY, YOU ARE READY TO GO: The next day, drain the water. Add 2 quarts fresh water. Add yellow onions, celery, and bell pepper to beans and bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat and SIMMER until beans are soft and begin to thicken, about 1 1/2 hours. Do not stir too much or the beans will get mushy. Stir in salt, thyme, oregano, garlic powder, cayenne, bay leaves, and sausage. Simmer until beans are tender, about 30 minutes more.
- SERVE: Serve beans over hot rice. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with cheese and green onions. Serve with slices of French bread or with cornbread.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best One-Pot Meal
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner