Author Notes: This soup is delicious and comforting (and cheap!). A dear family friend, Ralph, created it and shared the basis of it with me. It's such a favorite that an artist was commissioned to paint a picture of the ingredients! A few simple ingredients come together beautifully and you have a bowl full of warmth and love. —BlueKaleRoad
large head of broccoli
large apples (Golden Delicious or McIntosh are good)
large onion, diced
cups vegetable broth
salt and pepper to taste
plain yogurt to garnish (optional)
- Cut the broccoli florets off the stalk and set aside. Cut the stalks into 1-inch pieces. Peel the apples, core and cut into 1-inch pieces.
- In a large soup pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and apple chunks. Saute about 6 minutes. Add the broth and the broccoli stalks. Bring the soup to a boil, reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the broccoli florets to the soup and simmer for 5 more minutes. Remove from heat.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with yogurt if using.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner