If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I had one of those long never-ending weeks at work and wanted something simple and comforting but full of flavor for dinner. This sandwich hit the spot - it is salty and sweet with a little bit of gentle heat. Perfect with some greens and sliced apples or pears. —melissav
Serves: 1 sandwich
pieces thinly sliced ciabatta bread per sandwich
cup manchego cheese per sandwich, grated
pieces thinly sliced jamon serrano per sandwich
Fig Spread (see below)
- Brush one side of each slice of bread with olive oil and flip over. Spread the other side of each slice with the fig spread. Divide the cheese and sprinkle half over each slice of bread. Add the jamon serrano and close the sandwich.
- Grill the sandwich in a skillet over medium low heat until golden and crusty and the cheese is melted.
Fig, Caramelized Onion and Port Spread
tablespoon olive oil
small red onion, sliced
teaspoon kosher salt
teaspoon cayenne pepper
tablespoons rosemary, minced
dried figs, halved
- Heat the olive oil over medium high heat in a small saucepan. Add the onion and saute until just beginning to brown. Turn heat to medium low and add salt, cayenne, and rosemary. Cook stirring frequently for 10 minutes.
- Add the figs, port, and water. Simmer uncovered for 5 minutes then cover and simmer for another five minutes. Remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Process in food processor until a chunky spread. You will have more spread than you need for the sandwich(es). It is great on a cheese tray or on your morning toast.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best "Ham and Cheese"