Author Notes: parippu vada in local Malayalam language - is tea time snack prepared from crushed pulses. The pulses are crushed to have a consistency to roll the shape for frying. Onions and chillies also added for flavor —pauljoseph
2 cups thuvar dal or yellow split peas
3 or 4 hot green chilies, finely chopped
Salt to taste
1 onion thinly chopped
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1 sprigs of curry leaves
5 cups vegetable, oil for deep-frying
- Soak thuvar dal in water for 3 hours and then drain
- In a food processor combine three tablespoons of the soaked thuvar dal with salt and grind to a thick purée.
- Add the remaining soaked thuvar dal and grind coarsely. Since the dal absorbs water during soaking, there is no need to add extra water when grinding .The ground mixture should be very thick so that it can be shaped into small discs.
- Remove from the processor, sprinkle chopped chilies, onion, grated ginger, and curry leaves and mix well.
- Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed wok
- When the oil is hot, wet the palms of your hand and shape about two tablespoons of the dal mixture into a 1 1/2 to 2 inch round disc.
- Slide the vada gently into the hot oil. Repeat with the remaining mix. Fry vadas for approximately 3 to5 minutes till they turn golden brown and crisp
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Street Food