Next year I plan to grow more hardnecks…
Next year I plan to grow more hardnecks…—checker
Makes: 1 portion
bunch garlic scapes
Salt & pepper
In This Recipe
- To prepare for breading the scapes spread about 1 cup of flour out on a plate and add a good amount of salt and pepper, at least a teaspoon of each. Crack the egg into a bowl and give it a quick whisk.
- Chop the scapes into approximately half inch pieces.
- Working in batches, dip the chopped scapes in the egg and then roll them in the flour until they have a good coating of breading. Set each batch aside as you finish the rest.
- Add the vegetable oil to a shallow sauce pan so that it is about 1 inch deep. Heat the oil on medium-high heat until it is shimmering.
- Using a fine mesh strainer, and still working in batches, gently lower the strainer and breaded scapes into the hot oil but do not remove them from the strainer. Hold them in the oil for approximately 30 seconds, or until they are starting to look golden brown.
- Strain each batch on a paper towel to remove excess oil.
- I have absolutely no idea how long or well these keep because, to be honest, I kind of eat them like candy.