If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: We are fortunate to live a few blocks away from 2Amys, a popular Neapolitan pizzeria in our Northwest DC neighborhood. While the pizza alone is worth the trip, I go for the other parts of the menu – particularly the seasonal starters and their amazing house-made charcuterie. The one menu staple that I will always get is their escarole heart salad, which might hold the title of My Favorite Salad Ever. It is simple, refreshing yet hardy, and layered with flavor.
I’m at the tail end of the escarole in my garden and I couldn’t think of a better way to savor it than in my own riff on the 2Amys salad, complete with my Garlic Scape Croutons. (See the recipe for Garlic Scape Croutons on my page.) If you don’t want those croutons than substitute your own homemade croutons and be sure to add some garlic to the anchovy dressing. —checker
- 2-3 anchovy fillets
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- (Include 1 large clove of minced garlic if not using the Garlic Scape Croutons.)
- In a blender or mini food processor combine the anchovies, lemon juice, pepper (and garlic, if using) and process until smooth.
- Slowly add the olive oil until you have an emulsion.
- Pour into a jar with a tight-fitting lid and set aside.
2Amys' Escarole Salad, My Way
- Escarole hearts, leaves separated (Maybe 1 per person for a side and 2 per person for a meal.)
- 3 hard boiled eggs, peeled and halved
- 1/2 cup Garlic Scape Croutons (Or your own croutons. The measurement probably depends on the size of your croutons, and I assume you can figure out what looks good.)
- 2-4 tablespoons Anchovy Dressing
- This is really just an assembly. Pile the escarole leaves on a plate, place three halves of the egg around the sides, scatter some croutons across and drizzle the dressing over to suit your taste.