If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These delicious toasts are served as hors d’oeuvres or to accompany a green salad as an appetizer. Many years ago I read the recipe for these toasts in Bon Appetite magazine. I liked the idea, but changed the recipe a little. I used English Muffins instead of Baguette and also mixed in Avocado into half of the toasts.
Serves: makes 12
• 12 English Muffins, separated
• 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
• 1 large garlic head, cloves separated (unpeeled)
• 12 ounces ripe Brie cheese, rind removed, room temperature
• A generous pinch of cayenne pepper
• Chopped fresh parsley and cilantro
• 2 ripe Hass avocados
• Zest and juice of 1 lime
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Place 12 muffin halves on a cookie sheet. Bake until golden (about 10 minutes). Cool. Heat olive oil in a heavy small ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and toss to coat.
- Transfer skillet to oven and bake garlic until knife pierces centers easily (about 20 minutes). Cool slightly. Peel garlic. Transfer garlic to bowl and mash with fork. Add Brie and cayenne pepper and mix well. (You can make it 6 hours ahead, just cover and let it stand at room temperature.)
- Preheat broiler. Spread half of the cheese mixture on 12 halves toasts. Season with pepper. Broil until cheese bubbles (watch it carefully to make sure they don’t burn). Sprinkle with parsley. Transfer to a platter.
- Stir in the avocados, zest and juice of 1 lime into remaining half of the cheese mixture, taste and add salt (if needed); spread this mixture on the remaining muffin halves. Do not broil these toasts; just season with pepper, sprinkle with cilantro, transfer to the same platter and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Hors d'Oeuvre
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best One-Bite Party Snack
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Street Food