If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My sister-in-law, who eats no fattening food of any kind, made deviled eggs for a Super Bowl party. Immediately suspicious, I pressed her for her method - no way had she allowed mayonnaise into her house for them. Her secret, she said, was Greek yogurt. While I think that using all yogurt is overpowering, combining it with the traditional mayonnaise in the filling produces a subtle tang and lighter flavor. —MeghanVK
Food52 Review: WHO: MeghanVK is a longtime Food52er and a TV programmer living in Brooklyn.
WHAT: Deviled eggs, with a welcome tang.
HOW: Hard-boil your eggs; mix the yolks with mayonnaise, yogurt, and mustard; pipe the mixture back into the whites; garnish as you please.
WHY WE LOVE IT: It's easy to think of lightened-up deviled eggs with an eye roll, but we think that Greek yogurt is just what they need: more depth, more tanginess, more reasons to eat a plateful. We love MeghanVK's garnish suggestions; our favorites were pimenton and Parmesan. —The Editors
Makes 24 eggs
For the eggs
extra large eggs
tablespoons Greek yogurt (fat content is up to you; I think nonfat works fine)
tablespoon Dijon mustard
Truffle salt (my favorite)
Ras al hanout
A dab of tomato paste
Sweet pickle relish
- Place the eggs in a saucepan, cover with cold water, and bring to a boil. Once the water is rolling, turn off the heat, cover, and let sit for thirteen minutes. Remove the eggs to a bowl of ice water, allow to cool, and peel. Slice the eggs in half, wiping down your knife with a damp towel between cuts.
- Remove the egg yolks to a bowl and mix with the mayonnaise, yogurt, and mustard. Combine with a fork (if you want the filling perfectly creamy, you can do this in a food processor).
- Spoon the filling into a plastic baggie, snip off a corner, and pipe into the egg whites. Be generous! Arrange on a platter and top with truffle salt, your favorite spice mixture, smoked Spanish paprika, chopped olives, or whatever your heart desires.
- This recipe is a Wildcard Contest Winner!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!