Author Notes: My sister-in-law, who eats no fattening food of any kind, made deviled eggs for a Super Bowl party. Immediately suspicious, I pressed her for her method - no way had she allowed mayonnaise into her house for them. Her secret, she said, was Greek yogurt. While I think that using all yogurt is overpowering, combining it with the traditional mayonnaise in the filling produces a subtle tang and lighter flavor. —MeghanVK
Food52 Review: WHO: MeghanVK is a longtime Food52er and a TV programmer living in Brooklyn.
WHAT: Deviled eggs, with a welcome tang.
HOW: Hard-boil your eggs; mix the yolks with mayonnaise, yogurt, and mustard; pipe the mixture back into the whites; garnish as you please.
WHY WE LOVE IT: It's easy to think of lightened-up deviled eggs with an eye roll, but we think that Greek yogurt is just what they need: more depth, more tanginess, more reasons to eat a plateful. We love MeghanVK's garnish suggestions; our favorites were pimenton and Parmesan. —The Editors
Makes: 24 eggs
For the eggs
extra large eggs
tablespoons Greek yogurt (fat content is up to you; I think nonfat works fine)
tablespoon Dijon mustard
Truffle salt (my favorite)
Ras al hanout
A dab of tomato paste
Sweet pickle relish
- Place the eggs in a saucepan, cover with cold water, and bring to a boil. Once the water is rolling, turn off the heat, cover, and let sit for thirteen minutes. Remove the eggs to a bowl of ice water, allow to cool, and peel. Slice the eggs in half, wiping down your knife with a damp towel between cuts.
- Remove the egg yolks to a bowl and mix with the mayonnaise, yogurt, and mustard. Combine with a fork (if you want the filling perfectly creamy, you can do this in a food processor).
- Spoon the filling into a plastic baggie, snip off a corner, and pipe into the egg whites. Be generous! Arrange on a platter and top with truffle salt, your favorite spice mixture, smoked Spanish paprika, chopped olives, or whatever your heart desires.
- This recipe is a Wildcard Contest Winner!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!