If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe was inspired by my daughter's friends birthday party, where carrot cake was being served. I always want to make safe, and often similar, treats for her. I looked at a recipe for Carrot Cake from Living Without Recipe but needed to change several things to make it safe for us. It can easily be made gluten, dairy, soy, egg and corn free and vegan, so it is pretty allergy friendly.
The orange icing was simply inspired by me looking around the kitchen and wondering what might punch the flavor for the icing up a bit. —MaggieD
Makes 12-18 cupcakes
Over-spiced carrot cupcakes
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1/2 cup Sorghum Flour
- 1/2 cup Tapioca Starch
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon guar gum or xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup ground flax meal
- 1 cup Palm Shortening
- 1 1/5 cups sugar
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup Dairy-free margarine like Earth Balance
- 1/4 cup Palm Shortening
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Cream the shortening with the sugar and vanilla. I use a stand mixer with whisk attachment.
- Stir the flax meal in to the water (this is a binder in place of eggs). Add to the creamed sugar and whisk for about another minute,
- Add remaining dry ingredients, mixed together in a bowl, and whisk until mixed up. If using a stand mixer, you may have to stop and use a spatula to incorporate everything and mix again.
- Grate or food process two cups of carrots. Fold into the batter. It will be a slightly thick batter, like muffins.
- Line two muffin panswith paper cupcake cups. Use a spoon or ice cream scoop to fill cupcake cups a little more than 3/4 full. Use finger tips to smooth the tops if desired.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees. Let the cupcakes cool thoroughly before attempting to ice or handle them.
- Cream all icing ingredients together while the cupcakes cool. Ice and enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Gluten-Free Baked Good