If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Cucumber salad is a very easy recipe -- no cooking involved! Plus it's very forgiving ... serve almost immediately for a crisp, refreshing salad, or let it mellow in the fridge for a couple of days for a merely awesome experience (the way I prefer).
You can use a regular cuke if you prefer, but an English cucumber does not need any peeling. —ohyoucook
- 1 English Cucumber
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup white vinegar (do NOT use cider vinegar)
- 1/8 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped (about 1 tsp.)
- Thinly slice the cucumber. Place slices in a colander, then sprinkle salt over them. Move the slices around so you hit each with some of the salt. Let sit for 15 minutes to let salt draw out some moisture.
- In a 1 quart bowl, combine vinegar, dill, sugar, black pepper and lemon juice. Set aside.
- Blot excess salty-moisture from the cucumber slices. No need to rinse. Add slices to the vinegar mixture. Top with onions and garlic; gently toss to evenly coat everything.
- Voila! You are done! Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve, up to 2 days.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish