This recipe takes a raw, but delicate flounder fillet and marinates it in lime as a base for a salad using shades of green. I think flounder makes the best white fish for ceviche because of its delicacy. - Sagegreen
This recipe takes a raw, but delicate flounder fillet and marinates it in lime as a base for a salad using shades of green. I think flounder makes the best white fish for ceviche because of its delicacy. - Sagegreen—Sagegreen
Food52 Review: Oh my, this is a lovely ceviche salad created by Sagegreen. I couldn't wait to make it since my family loves ceviche and it is a perfect summer dish. The delicate flounder was indeed wonderful. We all loved the taste and texture of the added pistachios, so think they should definitely be included rather than optional. The fresh green flavors of lime, basil, avocado and spinach are just terrific together. This recipe is a keeper and I look forward to making it many more times. - BlueKaleRoad —BlueKaleRoad
pound fresh flounder
cup fresh lime juice (feel free to add some tangerine juice in with this if you don't love lime)
small chunk of pink Himalayan salt, grated
bed of fresh baby spinach (or other mixed greens)
avocado, to dice
Thai basil leaves
cup crushed pistachio nuts, optional
drizzle of your best EVOO
lime wedges for garnish
- Cut the fish into 1/2 inch by 1 inch thin strips. In a non-reactive shallow bowl, arrange the fish on the bottom. Grate a small amount of the salt on top. Pour the lime juice over the fish and completely cover. Cover and chill for about 3 hours.
- Then prepare a bed of torn baby spinach leaves (or other greens of your choice such as cress or mache). Spoon the fish onto the bed with some of the citrus juice.
- Dice the avocado and add to the plate. Tightly roll the basil leaves, thinly snip and add to the salad. Gently toss. Grate some salt over the top. Lightly drizzle some excellent quality EVOO on top (first cold press from Nudo, for example) Let the flavors meld together for about 15 minutes. Top with crushed pistachios. Serve with fresh lime wedges.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish in the Raw