If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Start an elegant menu with a tray of cherry tomatoes, cucumber slices, assorted olives and those toasts as hors d’oeuvres or accompany them with a Greek style salad as a first course. Pour a California Chardonnay and your party will get the perfect beginning.
The Mustard-Chive butter is also delicious over baked fish or roasted vegetables. Some times I use cream or goat cheese instead of butter and horseradish instead of mustard, or mix in just a little of finely minced smoked salmon.
A loaf of Italian bread works perfectly too.
Food52 Review: WHO: Kukla is a classical pianist living in West Hollywood.
WHAT: A tasteful upgrade to a classic party hors d'oeuvre.
HOW: Simply mix up your compound butter, spread it on toast, and layer on the salmon.
WHY WE LOVE IT: Kukla's use of herbs, mustard, and lemon make for a perfectly-balanced compound butter. We love this preparation -- who wouldn't? -- but we also see this butter on top of a white fish, vegetables, or just about anything that needs its rich, herby tang. Since there are so few ingredients, make sure to use the best of each. Party time! —Food52
Serves makes 20:
- 10 ounces of the best quality smoked salmon in medium-thin slices (Norwegian or Wild Alaskan)
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 3 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup finely chopped chives or green onions
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 thin, long French baguette, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place bread slices on baking sheet. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until golden and crispy. Let cool.
- Mix butter, lemon juice and zest, chives, mustard, dill, salt and pepper in a bowl until well blended. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before using.
- Spread a thick layer of the mustard- chive butter and place a slice of smoked salmon on top of each toast. Place on a platter or serving tray and serve.
- This recipe is a Wildcard Contest Winner!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best One-Bite Party Snack
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish in the Raw