Author Notes: Sometimes we need a dish that is both easy and quick to make. At the same time, it’s nice to make a surprise to family and guests. Bresaola with ricotta is quite simple to make and so refreshing with a salad. I wanted to take this dish a step forward and make the filling a total surprise.
I like mixing pear with ricotta because I like that sweet and savoury taste without going over the top. The pistachios give the filling just that light crunch. The gorgonzola is a nice addition to give a little kick to the filling.
—Maria Teresa Jorge
slices of bresaola
cups fresh whole milk ricotta
cup pistachios – roasted, pealed and chopped
sprigs of chives, chopped finely
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salad or arugula to serve
- In a bowl, using a whisk or a fork, beat the ricotta with 2 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil until very, very smooth. Crumble the Gorgonzola in small pieces and add to the ricotta. Add salt and pepper to taste and mix. Add the chives, the julienned radishes and the chopped pistachios,
- Last, peel the pear, remove the core and julienne.
- To assemble the bresaola surprise rolls:
- Spread the slices of Bresaola on a chopping board and brush lightly with a tiny dot of mustard. Put 2 to 3 teaspoons ricotta mixture on one end, add on top some julienned pear and roll gently.
- To serve:
- Peel and thinly slice the navel oranges – see Amanda and Merril’s video on How to segment and slice an orange – 4th Feb 2011.
- On a plate put some slices of orange. On top put 5 Bresaola Surprise rolls. Finish with some arugula or salad and cherry tomatoes. Drizzle the Bresaola Surprise Rolls with Extra Virgin Olive Oil and the salad with a simple vinaigrette sauce.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish in the Raw