Author Notes: This salad accompanies practically every one of our small terrace barbecues. We usually grill skirt steak which we serve with roasted potatoes or perhaps a ratatouille, a leafy green salad, and this cucumber yogurt salad.
It is a take on tzatziki, but a little more subtle as the garlic is only used to infuse the salad and later removed. —nettleandquince
3 or 4 tablespoons plain yogurt
Freshly ground white pepper
Small bunch fresh mint
- This salad should be made about 1 hour in advance.
- Thinly slice the cucumbers, with a mandoline for example. Add a few tablespoons of yogurt, just enough to coat the cucumber slices but not more, as the cucumbers will release some fluid. Cut the garlic cloves into thick slices. **The garlic is used to infuse the salad but the slices must be taken out before serving, so the slices should be thick and it's important to remember the number of pieces used.** Season with salt and white pepper.
- Let sit in the fridge for about 1 hour.
- Remove the slices of garlic.
- Cut a small handful of mint leaves very thinly and add to the salad. Serve cold.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish in the Raw