If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Nothing gets me fired up like reinventing a classic or fusing different styles of cuisines.
Now Chiles rellenos (pronounced - Chee-lehs Rreh-yeh-nohs) as a traditional Mexican specialty are cheese stuffed, batter fried chiles such as Anaheim or Poblanos. Also, Peruvian (or Ecuadorian, depending on where you're from) Ceviche (pronounced sa-vee-chay) is raw fish 'chemically cooked' in an acid such as lime juice.
So I have decided to not only fuse both these classic preparations but to also omit frying the chiles altogether and instead roast them only. I am then going to stuff them with the tuna ceviche & top it with some luscious avocado cream to pull together all the refreshing flavors.
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/2 cup mascarpone
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1-1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Tuna Ceviche & Roasted Peppers
- 1/2 small spanish red onion
- 12 ounces ripe cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/4 yellow bell pepper
- 2 ripe (brown not green) avocados
- 4 limes
- 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno pickling liquid
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh sashimi grade tuna
- 4 Poblano or Pasillo peppers
- 10 sprigs fresh cilantro for garnish
- TUNA CEVICHE - 2 hours before serving : Slice the tuna along the grain 1/4" thick. Cut each slice lengthwise and chop each length to get 1/4" cubes. Continue till all the tuna is cut this way into 1/4" cubes. Remove to a glass bowl and set aside.
- Limes & Lemon - Squeeze the juice from the limes & the lemon in a bowl. Add the lime-lemon juice to the chopped tuna. Stir and cover the bowl with a plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate immediately. Minimum refrigeration time is 1 hour.
- Meanwhile continue working on the remaining ingredients for the ceviche. Recruit a large glass mixing bowl.
- Red pepper & yellow pepper - Cut off tops, discard seeds, membranes & top. Chop fine. Set aside in the glass bowl.
- Red onion - Cut off tops, discard skin. Finely chop. Set aside in the glass bowl along with the peppers.
- Cilantro - Cut off stems & discard. Finely chop leaves. Set aside in the glass bowl along with the onion.
- Red cherry tomatoes - Halve, then quarter. Set aside in the glass bowl along with the cilantro.
- Avocado - Cut an avocado into half. Retain the other half with the seed, in the refrigerator. Score the avocado with a knife in a criss-cross fashion into 1/2" cubes. Do not cut into the skin.
- Place the chopped avocado in the bowl with the remaining ingredients. Add the jalapeno pickling liquid, olive oil and salt. Stir till well combined. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap & refrigerate.
- Avocado cream - Chop the avocado as described above and place in a bowl along with mascarpone, sour cream and lime juice. Keep stirring with a spoon till the avocado is mashed up & thoroughly blended. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap & refrigerate.
- Poblano peppers - Char the peppers directly on gas flame. If using a electric stove, use the broil setting in your oven. Broil till completely charred and blistered. On a gas stove, use tongs and keep turning over so the peppers are charred on all sides. Place the charred peppers in a zip lock bag. Seal and set aside for 10 minutes to steam the peppers. This will allow the skin to come off quite easily. If you are sensitive to hot chilli oils, don a pair of latex gloves. Keep scratching the surface so the charred skin peels off. Repeat for all the peppers. Once the peppers are peeled. You can take a moist kitchen paper towel and wipe off the surface to get any excess charred skin off. Make a slit in each pepper and remove the seed knob on the top. Halve the peppers & remove all ribs, membranes and excess seeds. Lay all the peppers on a flat platter ready for assembly.
- Remove the tuna from the refrigerator and drain any excess liquid off by straining in a sieve. Add the tuna to the large mixing bowl with the remaining ceviche ingredients. Stir. Taste & adjust seasonings.
- Assembly - To each pepper half, spoon the tuna ceviche till full. Top with a spoonful of the avocado cream and a cilantro leaf for garnish. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chili Pepper Recipe