If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I originally created this as a complimentary topping for the flank steak contest. Since then, my CSA share has been overflowing with cherry tomatoes and I have found myself making this at least once a week. something about this flavor combination is hauntingly delicious! I have served this sauce with grilled chicken, pan roasted rockfish (striped bass in other parts of the country) and even over grilled bread. I initially just resubmitted the steak recipe but after thinking about it, the cherry tomato vinaigrette really is the star and deserves a place of its own. You can use any kind of cherry tomato, I used grapes initially but have also used sungolds more recently. If the tiny tomatoes you use have a lot of liquid, you may need to pour a bit off the baking sheet to let the shallots caramelized. I wouldn't ditch the liquid though, save it and add it to the sauce at the end! —meganvt01
- 1 pint, cherry tomatoes
- 2 large shallots, sliced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- Preheat the oven to 425. Place the tomatoes, shallots, and 1 tablespoon of oil on a baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper, toss to combine and pull apart the little shallot rings.
- Roast for about 10 minutes. Toss, turn on the broiler and cook for about another 1 - 2 minutes or until the tomatoes blister and break apart. Let cool.
- Mix together the egg yolk, garlic, dijon mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper. Whisk in the olive oil.
- After the tomato shallot mixture has cooled to warm, toss with the vinaigrette. It will thicken slightly.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A&M Smackdown / Your Best Tomato Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Vinegar
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cherry Tomatoes