Author Notes: This recipe was inspired by a salad I had at Barbuto, in NYC's West Village. I called a few weeks later to try and get the ingredients but was never called back, so I did my best to replicate. I think mine is even better! I also think, like most savory dishes, one could add some bacon... —wingirl
Serves: 6 people as a side dish
Dozen or so brussel sprouts
cup pine nuts
cups Freshly grated good quality Pecorino Romano
bunch scallions, trimmed
cup Lemon Juice
cup Good quality olive oil
- Buy brussel sprouts on the stem, if only because its SO cool
- Remove the butt of the sprouts and dump them into a bowl of the hottest water your sink can make - sort of a faux blanche.
- Drain sprouts and place them and the trimmed scallions into the chute of your cuisinart, which has been affixed with the multi-holed grater that stands tall in the cuisinart. Shred all brussel sprouts and place in salad bowl.
- Toast pinenuts in the toaster oven on low CAREFUL - pinenuts burn easily! Toss with brussel sprouts.
- Grate pecorino (parmesan can be substituted or combined with) in cuisinart with the standard insert. Add to salad bowl.
- Place lemon juice, olive and a pinch of maldon or kosher salt and lots of freshly ground pepper in an old mustard or jam jar and shake vigorously. Toss with salad and serve fairly quickly.