If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I make my mac-n-cheese the casserole way, with eggs binding it, so it can be baked and cut into squares. I also often put stuff in it, in this case, roasted roots and fresh rosemary, which are a perfect pair for the sharp and smoky cheeses. We are pretending that it is cool and crisp outside while we eat it ... well maybe someday that part will come true. —aargersi
Serves 1 9x9 casserole
- 2 parsnips - peeled and in a smallish dice
- 1 small sweet potato - peeled and diced the same size
- 2 small turnips - peel and dice the same size (you should have a total 2 cups diced roots)
- 4 cloves garlic - still in the paper
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large sprigs of fresh rosemary
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup (dry) elbow macaroni
- 1 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded smoked cheddar cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- butter for the pan
- Heat the oven to 375. Toss the roots, garlic and rosemary with the olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and roast on a sheet pan until they are tender and just getting crispy. Remove the rosemary - some needles will stay with the roots - that's OK. Turn the oven down to 350.
- Meanwhile boil the macaroni in salted water until it is on the dente side of al dente, and butter a 9x9 baking dish. Mix the two cheeses.
- Squeeze the roasted garlic out of the paper and mash it, then whisk it with the eggs and milk. Toss the roots and macaroni together. Put 1/3 of the mixture in the dish, then 1/3 of the cheese. Repeat with the remaining mac and roots and cheese so you have three layers, ending with cheese. Pour the milk egg and garlic mix over the macaroni, then gently press down with a spatula or a big spoon. Bake until it is golden and crispy on the edges.
- Let it cool for around 10 minutes before you dig in.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Root Vegetable Side