Author Notes: I got my base recipe for these from Mark Bittman who posted a guide for whole wheat muffins in the NYTimes last year. I've tweaked it to include less sugar and many different flavor profiles, but this combo is one of our very favorites! —em-i-lis
Makes 12 muffins
- 2½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cups unrefined sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoons baking soda
- ¼ teaspoons salt
- dashes cinnamon
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup pureed pumpkin (I use canned organic pumpkin)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cups buttermilk
- 3 Italian plums, pitted and chopped
- 2 tablespoons pepitas
- Preheat the oven to 375, and prepare a 12-cup muffin tin.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and dash of cinnamon. Set aside. In another, smaller bowl, whisk together the melted butter, pumpkin, egg and buttermilk. Fold the wet mixture into the dry and stir until just combined.
- Place a few pieces of chopped plum in the bottom of each muffin cup. Spoon some muffin batter over the plums and then top with a sprinkling of pepitas. Bake 18 minutes, or until muffins are puffed, firm yet tender. Serve warm!