Author Notes: There are a number of ways to serve polenta; this is a spicy alternative to bread strata; a recipe that was inspired out of my mission to use up the leftover polenta and our garden fresh roasted Anaheim peppers.
Strata is a layered comfort food casserole made with bread, cheese and eggs, the twist with this recipe = polenta, roasted Anaheim and homemade salsa (recipe below), your favorite store bought salsa work just fine. Also, I have easily used spinach and even broccoli in place of roasted Anaheims.
This recipe requires a sit of anywhere between one hour to overnight, allowing the flavors to absorb before baking. It is served warm, most commonly for brunch, but makes a nice side dish, too!
Makes: one 8 inch square baking dish – can easily be doubled
1-3/4 cup cubed leftover polenta
1 cup sliced roasted Anaheim peppers, or your choice of pepper
3/4 to 1 cup salsa –- recipe below or your favorite store bought.
1-1/4 cup shredded cheddar and a jack cheese mixture; set aside 1/2 cup for topping
3 large beaten eggs
1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
1 cup finely chopped juicy tomatoes
1 whole jalapeno, finely chopped
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 pinch sea salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon honey
1/2 teaspoon fresh cilantro, or Italian parsley, if you prefer - chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare the pan with butter or cooking spray.
- Add ingredients in layers to the pan; beginning with Polenta.
- Add roasted peppers.
- Spoon in the salsa; making sure it soaks down and throughout.
- Add 3/4 cup of the cheese mixture; making sure it is mixed throughout.
- Pour beaten egg over the top; let it soak down and throughout.
- Bake 30 minutes or until bubbly.
- Add the last 1/2 cup of cheese and bake 10 more minutes.
- Let the strata sit for 5-10 minutes before cutting into.
- Combine all ingredients together.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mash-Up Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cereal
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast II