If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A combination of two recipe ideas, Clams casino and stuffed deviled clams came about when I had a lot of "stuff" left from another recipe and a big bowl of fresh clams, dinner for one/two or appetizers for 4 people.
I have a couple of ways to open clams just enough so that they are not cooked, steam until they just show a slight opening, just popped or under preheated broil for a few minutes enough to have a slight opening. Either way remove clams from shells immediately to a bowl along with any of the liquor in the shell.
Shuck the clams if you prefer, but I prefer to use some of the steaming liquid in the recipe...this makes about 21 because I ate one or two along the way, but you should get at least that and maybe 24- stuffed shells if you can resist tasting the clams, for freshness of course.
Food52 Review: These clams are packed with flavor and broiled right in their shells. You create a rich broth with butter and white wine in which to steam the clams. Then add salty Parmesan and crunchy bread crumbs, along with some colorful sauteed vegetables, to highlight these delightfully chewy clams. —broccolirose
- 6-8 slices crispy pancetta, *optional, reserve some to top clams before broiling
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 1/4 cup minced red pepper
- 1 medium clove garlic minced
- 1/2 cup 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs, unseasoned, if using Italian seasoned, go light on the other seasonings in the stuffing
- pinch of dried thyme
- pinch of Phillips Seafood seasoning
- 1-2 tablespoons tablespoons Parmesan
- 1/4-1/2 cups white wine to steam the clams in
- 2 cloves smashed garlic
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning or chopped fresh herbs
- 2 tablespoons butter to add to white wine
- 1 tablespoon EVOO
- fresh lemon wedges,
- *2 optional teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 dozen littleneck clams, opened, loosened from shell
- I big bowl to toss ingredients into and a heavy pan
- deviled egg container to store clams in if making ahead or freezing
- Scrub clean the clam shells. Add butter and a tablespoon olive oil to a pan large enough to steam two dozen clams, toss in the smashed garlic, when the butter melts and garlic fragrant, toss in the white wine, bring to boil and add the clams, cover and steam quickly removing clams just as they open. Remove the clams from the shells and rough chop, reserve and chill. Strain broth and reserve as this will be the liquid for the clam stuffing.
- Sauté the bacon, remove and crumble for the stuffing. Saute the minced shallots/onions and red pepper 3 minutes. Toss clams, bread crumbs, cheese, pancetta, vegetables, and seasonings. Turn the clams into the stuffing ingredients and taste for seasoning. Moisten with reserved strained liquid, place into oiled shells, sprinkle with paprika and a touch of seafood seasoning, Broil til tops are a little brown and crusty.
- Serve with lemon wedges and hot sauce.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best One-Bite Party Snack