Author Notes: These little bites are easy to assemble. I used some roasted cherry tomato halves that I froze. An alternative would be to use roasted tomatoes packed in oil, cut to the size of a cherry tomato.
You can play with the kinds of cheeses you use; I found these combinations to be very good.
The fig and Manchego cheese combination is equally delicious. —Bevi
Makes: 20 bites
For the Tomato and Blue Cheese Bites
sheet puff pastry dough
roasted cherry tomato halves or roasted tomatoes packed in oil
cup crumbled blue cheese
For the Dried Fig and Manchego Cheese Bites
sheet puff pastry dough - if you have access to Dufour, it is far superior to Pepperidge Farms.
Dried Black Mission figs, halved lengthwise, with the tops cut off
cup grated Manchego cheese
egg, beaten with a a touch of water added
- NB: This recipe uses one full puff pastry sheet, and I made 10 each of both types of bites. You can easily double either ingredient list to make one rather than both bites. On a second bake trial, I combined dried figs and blue cheese - Yum!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Roll out one sheet of puff pastry dough to an approx. 13"x10" sheet. Using a pizza wheel, cut the sheet in half lengthwise. On one half, spread the blue cheese evenly on the dough, pressing the cheese into the dough using clean fingers. Then, cut 10 crosswise strips. Place a tomato half inside each end of the pastry strip, and fold over both ends to form a pair of "binoculars." Press the ends down, and use a fork dipped in the egg wash to make a seal. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- On the other half of the pastry sheet, spread the manchego cheese evenly over the dough. Press the cheese into the dough using your rolling pin. Cut 10 crosswise strips. Place a half fig inside the ends of each strip, folding the ends together, and sealing with a fork. Place bites on the baking sheet.
- Lightly brush the egg wash over the "binoculars." Bake in the middle of the oven for approx. 17 minutes, or until the bites are a nice golden color.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Dried Fruit
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Appetizer to Share with Friends
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipes with 5 Ingredients or Fewer
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Hors d'Oeuvre
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best One-Bite Party Snack